Every home should have space for relaxing, resting, cooking, and studying. Whether you have children or are furthering your own education, it’s important to create a place inside your home that makes it easy to stay focused and organized on schoolwork.
Every home should have space for relaxing, resting, cooking, and studying. Whether you have children or are furthering your own education, it’s important to create a place inside your home that makes it easy to stay focused and organized on schoolwork. These tips will help you create a designated study station inside your home:
- Evaluate your space. Look around your home and determine the best location to set up a study station. A room with a door is the best option because it allows you to shut out any distractions. Try to find a more secluded, quiet area of the house that will enable you or your kids to get away from your home’s center of activity. Ideal locations include the basement, the second floor, toward the back of the house, or right off the entry area. A kitchen or bedroom can be a tricky location for a study station because it’s easy to get distracted with snacks or a comfortable bed.
- Equip it with the right tools. You want to make sure your study station has access to all the important tools needed to focus on schoolwork. You’ll need a reliable WiFi connection, plenty of wall outlets to plug in computers and other equipment, a spacious desk, and a comfortable chair. Be sure to incorporate storage solutions to keep all the necessary supplies close at hand.
- Install proper lighting. The correct lighting is essential to a productive study space. Recessed canister lighting, desk lamps, and windows for natural sunlight are all great ways to create an inviting and functional environment. You want light that’s suitable for reading, but not harsh enough to cause eye strain or glare on your computer. The right balance of lighting helps ensure your study experience is a positive one.
- Add comfortable seating. When creating a study station, it’s essential to find the right balance between something that’s comfortable but not too comfortable. You don’t want to be uncomfortable while doing schoolwork; on the other hand, you don’t want to be so comfortable that you fall asleep or get distracted. A solid desk chair with proper padding will help deliver an ideal study experience.
- Create a motivating space. You want your study station to be a motivational, inspirational place. Put up quotes or pictures of the things that stimulate your mind. Create a motivational playlist. Keep your phone away from your study station to help you focus. Create a system where you meet goals and earn rewards based on your progress. Motivation is key to a positive educational experience.
When you’re a homeowner, creating spaces in your home that make your entire family happy is vital. A study station can help you and your children focus on schoolwork, meet goals, and achieve success. A positive educational experience can be directly impacted by the work done at home. And the beauty is, the space can double as a peaceful retreat when your study sessions are done.
Author Bio: Madeleine Low is a content web publisher at Western Governors University. Her experience at WGU has helped her learn about higher education and the college experience for students around the United States. She has been a content writer and SEO analyst for five years for a variety of industries, including higher education, health, software, and automotive. She graduated from Brigham Young University with a bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism.